Do RPGs have messages? Should they? I would say they do send out messages consciously or not.
- It’s OK to resolve everything by violence.
- Extermination of an enemy based on race is good, actually.
- Your actions will bring no negative consequences.
- Society’s laws don’t apply to you.
- You are entitled to win every time.
If we don’t present an alternative message, these toxic ones that the oldest among us will remember from the worst of the games of our youth will still be there. Those of us still playing from thirty or forty years back have a duty to decide what message our games carry.